This is one of my favorite recipes this holiday season. It will be a bit hit at your house just like it was at mine. Enjoy!
Equipment: Baking Dish
* 8 – 10 cups Brioche or Challah Bread cut into 2-inch cubes
* 4 cups Half-n-Half may substitute whole milk
* 5 Eggs slightly beaten
* 2 Tablespoons Vanilla
* 12 Tablespoons Butter 3/4 cup, Melted
* 1 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
* 1/4 cup Sugar
Bourbon Caramel Sauce:
* 1/2 cup Butter
* 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
* 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
* 1 t. Sea Salt Flakes
* 2oz Bourbon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Put bread pieces in large mixing bowl.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together half-n-half, eggs, and vanilla extract.
4. Pour egg-milk all over the bread, tossing it gently. Pour into greased 9 x 13 baking pan.
5. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, remove from heat and add brown sugar and sugar and whisk until glossy smooth. Pour butter-brown sugar mixture all over bread pudding and toss gently.
6. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour to allow the bread time to soak up the liquid. Remove from the oven and bake for 45-55 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 – 15 minutes or until the bread pudding is golden brown. Set the pudding aside while you prepare the salted caramel sauce.
7. To make the salted caramel sauce:
8. Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat and stir in brown sugar and whisk until smooth. Stir in heavy cream and sea salt flakes until smooth.
9. Pour glaze over caramel bread pudding. Serve warm.
10. May top with fresh whipped cream.